Purpose

I will try my best to provide detailed info on various cars and what is like to live with them, I have already produced a few for Jaguar-car-forums, I will do my best to be unbiased, but it will be hard for some cars. I will re-produce press releases and copy from other motoring news.

Tuesday 6 September 2016

Citroen Claim more wins in the WTCC, with the provisional Championship title going to José María López again.

Yvan Muller and José María López finished first and second in the main race at Motegi (Japan) to claim the Citroën C-Elysée WTCC’s fifth one-two of the season. This means the Argentinian is provisional world champion for the third year running, whilst Citroën took another step closer to a sixteenth World Championship title.
In the opening race, Yvan Muller and José María López started from ninth and tenth on the grid. When the lights went out, the Citroën Total drivers moved up the field and into seventh and eighth places.
A few corners later, Muller also managed to take sixth place from Tom Chilton. It wasn’t long before López followed suit.

Muller then tried to find a way past Nick Catsburg. This gave López a chance to close in and overtake his team-mate after a minor coming together. Shortly afterwards, Catsburg’s determined defence was breached and the two team-mates set off in pursuit of Thed Bjork, who suffered the same fate.
Fourth and fifth respectively, López and Muller obtained the best possible result given their starting positions. They scored important points towards both the Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ World Championship standings.
After the damaged bodywork components were quickly replaced, the two works Citroën C-Elysée WTCCs lined up on the front row of the start grid for the main race.
López made a perfect start to enter the first corner ahead of Muller. Setting a blistering pace, the two drivers wasted little time in moving clear of the rest of the field, and were comfortable at the front as they headed towards a one-two finish.
With two laps to go, the no. 37 Citroën C-Elysée WTCC moved aside to let the no. 68 car past. Certain to win the title by finishing second, José María López handed victory to his team-mate.
For the first time this season, Yvan Muller therefore crossed the finish line as the race winner. This enabled him to draw level with Tiago Monteiro sitting in second place in the Drivers’ World Championship.
Second-placed López scored enough points to claim a third consecutive drivers’ title*, as he now has an unassailable 120-point lead.
In the manufacturers’ standings, Citroën has moved slightly closer to a sixteenth world title, having already won five Cross Country Rally World Cups, eight World Rally Championships and two World Touring Car Championships. The next round, held in Shanghai (24-25 September), should prove decisive.
WHAT THEY HAD TO SAY
Yves Matton, Citroën Racing Team Principal: “Everything worked well today, with a great fightback from our drivers in the opening reverse-grid race and a one-two finish in the main race. We achieved one of our goals this weekend with José María López, who provisionally retained his World Championship title. 
Although we still have a few races left to contest together, this is the beginning of the end of a great adventure that we started almost three years ago. In deciding to let Yvan win today, Pechito showed the team spirit that drives us all. We are now going to prepare for the next race, which should enable us to secure the manufacturers’ title. 
We’d also like to finish first and second in the drivers’ standings. Yvan drew level on points with Tiago Monteiro today, so he is ideally placed to finish as runner-up!”
José María López: “I must be one of the happiest men in the world tonight! When you watch motorsport on television, maybe you think that drivers are cold and aloof, but I can assure you that I’m feeling very emotional right now. I’ve had three fantastic seasons with Citroën Racing and I think a lot of drivers would love to be in my shoes. 
Competing in the WTCC has been a great opportunity for me in my career, but I am most indebted to the team. As regards my gesture for Yvan, it was a way of showing the respect that I have for him. I took the decision on my own, but it wasn’t easy to give up a victory. 
It’s always difficult to win races and I said to myself that it would be hard not to hear the Argentinian national anthem on the podium, especially on the day I win the title. 
But I thought that I might not have too many other opportunities to do it. I’ll keep fighting in the last few races – apart from anything else, we still have work to do to win the manufacturers’ title.”
Yvan Muller: “First of all, I would like to congratulate Pechito on this third title. He deserves it because he is currently the best driver in the category. In addition to being a great driver, he’s also a great man. 
Obviously, I hadn’t asked him to let me past, because that’s not how I like to win races. But he did what I have done in the past, most recently in Argentina when I decided to help him. 
There is genuine mutual respect, built on our shared determination to ensure Citroën wins. Now that I am level on points with Tiago, I’m going to try and finish as runner-up in the championship.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, I will verify them swiftly, Sorry to have to do this now as some twat keeps spamming my message system, unfortunately they are ignorant and spoil it for everyone else,

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.