Purpose

I will try my best to provide detailed info on various cars and what is like to live with them, I have already produced a few for Jaguar-car-forums, I will do my best to be unbiased, but it will be hard for some cars. I will re-produce press releases and copy from other motoring news.

Sunday 9 February 2014

North Shields garage owner ordered to drop 'Jaguar' from company name

Alan has run Alan Carr Jaguar Services for 14 years, but has now been told he is no longer allowed to use "Jaguar" in his company name.


Garage owner Alan Carr has hatched a cunning plan to win his battle with car giant Jaguar – changing his name to mirror his business.
Alan has run Alan Carr Jaguar Services for 14 years, but has now been told he is no longer allowed to use “Jaguar” in his company name.
He has vowed to take on the big boys and may change his name by deed poll to Mr Alan Carr Jaguar Services in a bid to thwart the motor giant.
Jaguar claims he has infringed their trademark and has told him to think of a neutral name.
Alan, 52, said: “I have been running this business for years providing servicing for Jaguars because I love the car. I am an enthusiast who has built up a business around his interest. It will never make me a fortune but I have a small number of clients who come to me by word of mouth and like what I do.
“I have a website which uses my company name and I have had plastic business cards printed, which were not cheap, but I have never passed myself off as Jaguar. And I have just invested in a new diagnostic system as used by main dealerships, which cost a lot of money, and then this hits me.”
Alan, of North Shields, does not know what triggered Jaguar’s approach but is determined to put up a fight.
He said: “I received a letter from their lawyers telling me to change my trading name. I went back to them asking if I could use Jag instead of Jaguar but they said that was still not acceptable. This is a blow not just to my business but to my love of Jaguar cars all my life. I am going to see a lawyer of my own and have even thought about changing by own name by deed pool to Alan Carr Jaguar Services.”
A spokesperson from Jaguar Land Rover suggested they would not be backing down. She said: “It would be inappropriate to comment about specific cases but we need to protect our trademark to maintain our reputation as a premium automotive manufacturer for our customers.”

TMW THOUGHTS
These days everyone wants to sue everyone else, and it is getting extremely boring, the way big companies want to dictate everything should be taken with a pinch of salt, but when you are using a trade name to promote  your own business, do they have the right, well, yes, but is it right to do so, again, in some cases, yes it is.
However, unless there is something more to this story that we are not privy too, it seems a little strange that a small business that does nothing but promote the products of JLR, and keeps existing products on the roads for longer, is being brow beaten by this large corporate entity, So, as it stands, based on the info in the piece, i feel that JLR are being a little picky, this guy is doing a job, to make a living, and keeping our cars on the roads at a price that means it is feasible to do so.
For those that are not aware, we here at TMW, love JLR, it is our brand of choice, and we will continue to blatantly promote them for all we are worth, but it still does not mean I wont say something is not right if I believe to be so, IF, there is more to this story, then fair enough, but to be honest JLR, you have had 14 years to do this, why now ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, I will verify them swiftly, Sorry to have to do this now as some twat keeps spamming my message system, unfortunately they are ignorant and spoil it for everyone else,

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.